2.26.2010

Cheery Chewy Chocolate Chippy Goodness




Mmmm. They are tasty. I wish I could remember where I found the recipe to begin with but I can't. And, as time has gone on, I can't even find the piece of paper I had the recipe written on and so it has evolved into something our own . . . and each time they turn out a little bit differently. But, hey, I think Chris would still call these the best homemade chewy chocolate chip cookies we've ever tasted. And that makes me very happy . . .

Try them for yourself. Here's the variation of the recipe we used this time:

2 sticks butter melted and cooled
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs plus 2 egg yolks
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1-2 cups choc chips
1-2 cups crushed walnuts
2 cups + 2 tbsp flour

Melt 2 sticks of butter and cool in refrigerator or freezer.

While butter is cooling, you can measure the sugars into a large bowl (a bowl with a lid works best) and whisk until well mixed and any clumps of brown sugar are not clumped. Once the butter has cooled to at least room temp, pour into the sugars and whisk. Whisk in the vanilla, salt, baking soda, eggs and egg yolks. 

Stir in the 2 cups of flour gradually. Then stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts (amount based on your taste—not to exceed about 3 cups total, though). If needed, add in a couple tablespoons of flour.

Put lid on bowl (or plastic wrap) and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. (Sometimes we bake some within an hour of making the dough and other times we wait until the next day . . . as long as it's covered, it works). 

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350. Line cookie sheets with parchment or silpads. Scoop cookie dough into large balls and place on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart as dough will spread. (Use a heaping cookie scoop—about 2 tbsp per cookie). About 6 per cookie sheet. Bake 10-13 minutes until lightly browned and centers are just barely baked. Remove from oven and let rest 2-5 minutes before placing on cookie rack to cool. 

Oh, by the way . . . they won't last long.



1 comment:

M and M plus 3 said...

I have to say, if you hadn't put the pictures of your cookies here I wouldn't of been tempted to try this recipe. You see, I didn't think any chocolate chip cookie could be any better than the Toll House recipe. Hmmm, well, I set out to give your recipe a try. Hubby was taking a few customers out fishing this afternoon, I thought it would be kind to have a few homemade snacks on the boat. I followed your recipe to the tee(except I used GA pecans instead of walnuts) and found these cookies to be VERY good. I plan on copying and pasting this recipe to print for my Daughter to give the grandbabies and will also send some to Iraq to my son. Thanks for sharing the recipe as well as those tempting pictures!